By: Jess Handley
When someone who is promoting or talking about breakfast and uses the phrase “it is the most important meal of the day” as a selling point, this phrase alone is enough to make anyone switch off, and if one is vegan it is often even worse as breakfast usually includes some kind of egg and bacon combination or other items that involve animal products. If you’re looking for something tasty that doesn’t require the effort that may come with breakfast preparation, try this delicious breakfast sandwich recipe that is not only a smorgasbord of different flavours, but takes under 10 minutes to prepare.
- 1 English muf fin
- 2 Tbsp soy vegan sausage, pressed into a round patty (Fry’s food is always a good choice)
- 3 thin slices of bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp vegan shredded cheese,
- 1 tsp harissa or hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp maple syrup or jam (berry is best!)
- pinch of black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil for coating patty
- Other optional toppings: greens like spinach, sliced mushrooms…
- Grab all you ingredients out of the fridge. Stick your English muffin in the oven for 45 seconds while you arrange your ingredients.
- Slice off 2 Tbsp of the vegan sausage and hand-press a nice patty. If you are feeling really adventurous, you can even press some diced onion into the patty as well.
- Rub the patty in a very light amount of olive oil and place it on the heated grill. Remove your English muffins. You want it to cool through in just under 2 minutes. Thinner patties cook in a flash.
- Slice open your English muffin and place the open faced ends back on the grill while you prep your veggies. Rub some sliced pepper in a bit of olive oil and place it on the grill as well.
- Allow the vegan sausage, peppers and bread to grill for another minute in the oven. After a minute. Pull anything that looks very done.
- Grab your cheese and sprinkle it right over top the patties while they are still in the oven. Then place the sizzling hot peppers right on top of the cheese.
- Grab your English Muffin and spread 1 tsp oil or butter replacement spread on one side – the maple syrup and/or jam on the other. Start building your sandwich: Muffin, patty (with cheese and peppers), layer your fresh spinach on top of that (and optional harissa) then close with top half of muffin.
Original recipe courtesy of: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2010/06/breakfast-sandwich-vegan-recipe-in-15.html